Thursday, October 27, 2005

On my own...

I am in Stone Town, Zanzibar on my own. I returned from Kendwa yesterday and four of my fellow travelors went on to Dar es Salaam. I stayed here overnight, and one of our group stayed behind in Kendwa for one more day of snorkelling. The reason I did not stay with her, is because of the upcoming election here in Tanzania and most especially in Zanzibar, but I really wished I had stayed at least for one more day. I think it was the most beautiful spot I have ever been to.

There has been alot of concern over the ferries to the mainland from here. It is not unusual for there to be some political unrest in Zanzibar during elections and the gossip has been that the ferries will stop running today or tomorrow and start up again on Monday. This would normally not be a problem, staying in such an idyllic location for a few extra days is not a hardship, but our flight leaves Dar on Sunday and that would pose a problem. So, the two of us are sailing this afternoon back to Dar, and I will spend some more time and money there. Shopping is always a good way to pass time.

I think I will go and wander around Stone town while I wait for Anne and the ferry.

ciao to you all

3 comments:

Merrill said...

Date? What date? Have I been left out of the loop?!? I hate being left out of the loop.

LilyMab said...

Yeah, this is the first I've heard about a date too...

LilyMab said...

Oh wait...apparently I should read the comments and not just the main blog. My bad...