Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Lift Off!

YEAH! Finally Discovery is in space. It was an exciting launch, but then how could it be anything but? Watching as the shuttle very quickly increased speed, 1 1/2 minutes out, 400 miles an hour, then at about 2+ minutes over a thousand miles an hour. Incomprehensible.

I try to picture the jubilation, fear, wonder of the astronauts sitting in the shuttle as it streaks towards the upper atmosphere and space. Are they as excited as I would be? They have to be.

I tried to view the launch from NASA's website but can't open their silly .ram format. CBS has a nice little video on their website of the launch and also of the separation of the boosters from the cam on the shuttle itself. Amazing.

I can't wait to see it again, and to continue to watch the ongoing videos as they become available.

If I could start over again as a teenager in high school, trying to figure out what to do with my life, I think I would do whatever it took to become an astronaut. As it is, thank goodness there are people who still love to explore and discover!

~ciao~

No comments: