Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Woe is ME

Ooooh my head. Well, to be more precise my face. I just returned from the dentist, where I have not been for a long time. I will not shame myself by revealing how long it has been, but will just state that I have to go back to finish my cleaning. The reason for the "woe is me" title is because I have EXTREMELY sensitive teeth and in order to clean them without me going through the roof I have to be frozen. So now do you understand why I have not gone in some time? The right side of my face from just under my eye, the cheek, tongue and chin are completely frozen and numb. I am a big baby and do not like to put myself through pain if I do not have to. (On top of it all, I am really hungry too)

So the visit goes something like this:

"Hi J*****, make yourself comfortable" ( yeah right). At this point the chair is moving down and stretching out at the same time, forcing me to look up and sort of backwards at the ceiling.
Oh, look at that, a pretty poster full of green, lush tropical rainforest. I think maybe I can distract myself by pondering on the upcoming journey to East Africa. (NOPE! what a dope)

Next:

"Do you want me to talk you through the needles or just go ahead and get to it?"

Hello... just get it over with. When all was said and done I had 5 or 6 needles. I am not sure anymore because after the one over my eyetooth, where the pain shot up to my eyeball I kind of lost count. However, in the middle of blasting my teeth with a high powered water laser thingymajiggy, I jumped almost out of the seat. So... another needle.

After the Dental Hygienist was done with me I had to have a filling replaced by my dentist. I thought (foolishly) that I would never, ever have to hear, smell, endure another drill in my mouth again. but NOOOOooooOOOOO... I absolutely hate it... the vibration that leaves through the top of your skul,l the noise that reverberates inside your head, the smell... oh the smell.

Okay, I am not going to make you suffer with me. Suffice it to say that I was in the dentist's office for two hours and I have one more visit to look forward to.

Having said all that, the staff there are fantastic and my dentist is wonderful. But I still would rather not see them very often.

Now I will get back to work and try to ignore my stomach. I am going to have some cream of mushroom soup as soon as I can feel my tongue again. :)

3 comments:

Merrill said...

The moment I saw the "D" word, I should have gone away. Now I'm going to have heart palpitations all day just for the horrow of it all. I forget to breathe when I'm in that chair. And I cry. A lot. ***shiver***

librarychik said...

I didn't cry but my right eye watered profusely when I got the needle over the eyetooth.... :-(

librarychik said...

Hey JB, I think we are all big babies when it comes to the dentist. And needles in the mouth, yeah... we all cringe. However, I am willing to go through with it for one reason only. I want to keep my teeth for the rest of my life. So...the rest of the cleaning is tomorrow. I solemnly swear to go every six months from now on and then I won't have to go through this again (I hope) :-(